I’m not sure I can contain my happiness…..I’m sorry Stefan fans, but The Vampire Diaries Season Two finale, “As I Lay Dying,” was all about DELENA. All of my expectations were fulfilled. There were quite a few grip-the-couch-pillow-in-anticipation moments, ahem Jeremy’s ghosts, but I’m going to concentrate on the finale’s best Damon/Elena moments.
1. First of all, Damon’s about-to-die conservation was adorable: “You should have met me in 1864…you would’ve liked me.” Swoooon. Her response was beautiful: “I like you now. Just the way you are.” A friend thought it was corny, but I’m going to have to respectfully disagree.
2. I’m all about seeing how much Stefan and Damon care about each other – Stefan was willing to sacrifice all to save his brother and Damon did the same in Season One when Stefan was captured by the tomb vampires. They may try to fool us, and each other, but they truly love each other….awesome!
3. Back to the Damon bed scene – I love that Elena, finally, was able to put her “OMG I’m with Stefan” thing aside to comfort Damon in what she thought would be his last moments. He’s done so much for her, good and bad, and he had really EARNED that kiss. And just as an aside, that was NOT a kiss one gives to a boyfriend’s brother, even if he WERE dying.
4. It was pure poetry when Elena found out Damon was dying, right after she’d “shut the door” in his face when he was begging for forgiveness. Time to pay the piper Elena. After all, it’s OK to love both of them. (Good point, Katherine.)
5. Even while clammy and sweaty, Ian Somerhalder pulled off dying beautifully. He delivered those lines so convincingly…”I love you. You should know that.” Elena was sobbing, I was sobbing. Tears were streaming my face. Logic will tell you there’s no way the show would kill off one of the most popular characters (there’s no show without him), but you’re still on proverbial tenterhooks when it appears Damon is breathing his last and finally bearing his soul, for real this time. No compulsion.
“As I Lay Dying” has completely lived up to Season One’s ending/cliffhanger, except this time, viewers should be prepared for a turning of the tables: Stefan as an evil henchman, Damon possibly good. Do you think Damon will pay his debt to Stefan by backing off from Elena when he may actually have a chance to win her? How long will Stefan be bad, anyway? (It was sadly short-lived in Season One.) Will Elena ever acknowledge her feelings for Damon?
Is it September yet? In the meantime, check out the Delena clip and the song playing in the background: